Information Systems for Business and Beyond Questions:
Chapter 7 -Homework – study questions 1-10, Exercise 1-3
These are the questions
- What is the productivity paradox?
- Summarize Carr’s argument in “Does IT Matter.”
- How is the 2008 study by Brynjolfsson and McAfee different from previous studies? How is it the same?
- What does it mean for a business to have a competitive advantage?
- What are the primary activities and support activities of the value chain?
- What has been the overall impact of the Internet on industry profitability? Who has been the true winner?
- How does EDI work?
- Give an example of a semi-structured decision and explain what inputs would be necessary to provide assistance in making the decision.
- What does a collaborative information system do?
- How can IT play a role in competitive advantage, according to
Chapter 7: Does IT Matter? | 167
the 2008 article by Brynjolfsson and McAfee?
- Analyze Carr’s position in regards to PC vs. Mac, Open Office vs. Microsoft Office, and Microsoft Powerpoint vs. Tableau.
- Do some independent research on Nicholas Carr (the author of “IT Doesn’t Matter”) and explain his current position on the ability of IT to provide competitive advantage.
- Review the WebEx website. What features of WebEx would contribute to good collaboration? Compare WebEx with other collaboration tools such as Skype or Google Hangouts?