By the end of this session, students will be able to:
· Describe the new democratic system of politics and give the reasons for its emergence in the 1820s.
· Explain the importance of racism in the Jacksonian period, and its relationship to democratic politics.
· Explain the importance of the Nullification crisis and the development of the nationalists and state interpretation of the constitution.
· Explain the significance of the banking issue.
Read Chapter 10 in American: Past and Present by Robert Divine and view the chapter 10 Power Point.
Helpful Web sites:
A. Read Chapter 10 in American: Past and Present by Robert Divine and answer the following questions.
1. In what ways did American cultural development in the 1820’s and 1830s reflect the democratic impulse of the era?
2. What issues combined lead to the death of the national bank?
3. Why would the elections of 1828 and 1840 firmly establish the two-party system?
4. Describe the temperament and political philosophy of Andrew Jackson.
5. Was the 1830’s the age of Democracy? Explain.
B. Read the hyperlinked article and respond to one of the questions.
-Who did Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Marshall, side with in the case Worcester vs. Georgia (1832)? Why?
-How would you describe the legacy of Andrew Jackson’s Indian policy?