Projects operate within the constraints imposed by the organization through its structure; and organizational structures can take many forms and types. Table 2-1 on page 47 of the PMBOK (PMBOK® Guide) compares several types of organizational structures and their influence on projects. The most common are Functional, Matrix, and Project-Oriented. In this Application Assignment, you will explore the role of the project manager and select the appropriate organizational structure for the Southern Care Hospital Project.
Refer to the Southern Care Hospital case study on pages 69-70 of “Project Management in Practice” and this week’s readings from the PMBOK (PMBOK® Guide).
. Write a 2 to 3 page paper answering the following questions:
- Describe the primary roles and responsibilities of a project manager.
- Referring to Table 2-1 in the PMBOK (PMBOK® Guide), which of the organizational structures do you think is most beneficial to the project and why?
- What are some of the similarities and differences between the various organizational structures?
- What criteria would you use to select resources to serve on your project team?
- From the available resource pool, who would you select to be on your project team? Why?