Assignment 2: Research Planning Matrix
A matrix is a tool that can be used as a job aid in any number of positions within the criminal justice system. In this assignment, you will work with a matrix that will help you map out different types of research and identify when one or another research design might be useful. You will be able to use the completed matrix throughout the rest of this course as a quick reference when formulating a response for other course assignments.
Click here to download the Research Planning Matrix. The matrix lists six different research designs that have been identified by Kraska and Neuman (2008): survey, evaluation, existing document, experimental, historical, and interview. Each of the different research designs is defined for you. To complete the matrix, you must find an example of each type of research design. That is, you must find a journal article that fits into each category. In the Examples column of your matrix, place a web link or a citation in the APA format for each article. After you have located the articles, you must identify the data collection techniques used by each author, the quantitative and qualitative elements of each article, and the chief characteristics of each article. Please note that the first example, survey research, has been completed as an example.
- Access the Research Planning Matrix and review the topics to be addressed.
- Complete the matrix so that the end product compares the different research designs, data collection techniques, and quantitative and qualitative elements, as well as the chief characteristics of each research design.
- Prepare a synthesis statement that outlines the most significant similarities and differences observed among the items shown in the matrix.
You will submit two documents for this assignment: the completed Research Planning Matrix, which will be submitted as a Microsoft Excel worksheet, and a synthesis statement, which will be submitted as a Microsoft Word document.
- Save the matrix as M2_A2_Lastname_Firstname.xls and the Microsoft Word document as M2_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc.
- By Wednesday, May 20, 2015, submit these to the M2: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Defined each type of research design.||
|Identified data collection techniques, quantitative and qualitative elements, and chief characteristics of each research design.||
|Categorized each example appropriately.||
|Prepared an effective synthesis statement that outlines the most significant similarities and differences observed among the items shown in the matrix.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in the accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||