It is vital to understand how to communicate your viewpoint about a current issue. In this assignment, you will develop a letter to your legislator about a current health problem. Once you have completed this assignment, save the letter to use as a template for future health issues which need to be presented to your legislator.
Step 1: Select a current health problem that is being debated at the national and/or state level (e.g., the proliferation of “pill mills” and pain clinics), and state why it is of interest.
Step 2: Identify a legislator (state or federal) and state why that person is the appropriate one to contact.
Step 3: Draft a one-page letter to the legislator including the proper salutation and the components below:
- Introduce yourself and your reason for writing.
- State concisely what you understand to be the current socioeconomic, political, and ethical issues surrounding the problem.
- Discuss the implications of the problem for nursing or nursing practice.
- Make a clear request for action. Request a response.
- Use a complementary closing and include information how they should contact you in closing.
- You will not need a title page or a reference page for this assignment, just a 1-page letter – do not exceed 1 page.
- Use the following YouTube for basic formal letter formatting: