NTR2050 Course Project
Nutritional Care Plan
For this project, you will identify a case study and then develop a nutritional care plan for the client associated with that case. You should begin working on your project in advance of Week 5 as you construct the details of your case. The completed nutritional care plan for your client is due in Week 10.
Please read this entire document to gain understanding of the project scope and those tasks you will complete. This project will take you several weeks to complete. Do not delay beginning the work on this project. When you have completed each part of the project, please submit to the appropriate drop box as a Word document.
Project tasks to be completed in Week: 5
- Choose from one of the following stages: pregnancy, infancy and childhood, adolescence, adulthood, and old age.
- List the specific nutrition issues affecting individuals in your selected stage.
- Choose a disease or medical condition that could possibly, or commonly, affect your individual. This could be anything ranging from diabetes to cirrhosis.
- Using the ABCDs of nutritional assessment, create a case study based on an actual client or patient. You can also make one up. Include the following in your case study:
- Anthropometrics, relevant biochemical tests, clinical assessment, and dietary intake analysis.
- Be sure to include a list of common medications that may be used to treat your patient’s condition and identify potential herb/nutrient/drug interactions that may be relevant.
- Identify your client’s cultural background and give clues as to their socioeconomic status and psychosocial variables. For example, your patient may be a senior living alone on a fixed income or might be living in a nursing facility with reputed staff.
Project tasks to be completed during Weeks 6–10 (due during Week 10):
- Create a nutritional care plan for your client. This will include an evaluation of nutritional risk, a list of interventions, and a list of expected outcomes.
- List the goals of medical nutrition therapy for your patient and suggest an appropriate diet. Does your patient/client require a dietary modification of their regular diet? Are enteral feedings by tube necessary? If so, what formula will you use and why? Describe your recommended method of administration.
- Describe your nutrition education teaching session with your patient and/or their family. What teaching methods will you use (explanation, discussion, demonstration, handouts, etc.)? In your own words, write a paragraph detailing three specific points that you will need to teach your patient about his/her new diet. In addition, give at least one tip to avoid potential herb/nutrient/drug interactions.
- Name your document SU_NTR2050_W10A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc.
- Submit this assignment to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.