Part 1Slope is used in many areas of construction and building; one such area is wheelchair ramps (which must be ADA-compliant). ADA standards allow a minimum slope of 1/20 and a maximum slope of 1/12. For this discussion, you will design a ramp.
- Give the starting point of the ramp. If you are starting it on the ground, then use the point (0,0).
- Decide how high the ramp will go, this will be the y value for the endpoint of the ramp.
- Select a slope for the ramp. Make sure it falls within the ADA-approved values.
- Based on the height and slope of the ramp, find the horizontal distance that the ramp will cover. This will be the x value of the endpoint of your ramp.
- Give the equation of the ramp in slope-intercept form.