A novel pandemic like the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), can emerge from anywhere and quickly spread globally. It can be difficult to predict when or where the next novel pandemic will emerge. Mass care and emergency assistance planners, providers, and support agencies should consider the geographic scope and severity of a pandemic event. Pandemic events have various and more complex planning elements that must be considered to ensure safe and successful delivery of mass care resources and services. These types of natural phenomena need to be considered in the strategic planning process for federal, state, and local homeland security organizations.
Discuss how global pandemic preparation was considered in the homeland security strategic planning process at the state level. Select a state and its homeland security strategic plan and how it prepared for a public health emergency such as the COVID-19 pandemic. Assess if the strategic plan was effective in preparing for and responding to the current global pandemic.
This assignment consists of conducting detailed research and analysis on a specific state and its homeland security strategic plan. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, review the specifics of the state’s strategic plan as it pertains to a public health crisis, and prepare a critique of the state’s plan from a public health crisis perspective.
- Examine the strategic planning requirements for the individual state’s homeland security organization.
- Assess the depth of strategic planning for a public health crisis.
- Critique the state’s strategic plan and its response to the COVID-19 pandemic to include gaps, shortfalls, and best practices.
- Assess how collaboration with stakeholders such as FEMA, DHS, state public, and private sectors was considered in the homeland security strategic plan.
The paper should include the following:
- The paper needs to be six-to-eight pages which does not include the cover page, photographs, reference page, or other inserts.
- Provide an introduction of the specific state you reviewed, inform the reader about the main topics to be covered, and a brief overview of the state’s public health preparation in its homeland security strategic plan.
- Conclusion and recommendations
- Reference page at the end with at least eight sources that must be cited using APA 7th edition format.
- This is an opportunity to be innovative, creative, and to use the knowledge you gained in your professions and throughout your course work.
- Stay focused on your task. Use course materials, carefully cite your information, and ensure that the paper is plausible.
- The assignment is worth 20-percent of the total grade.