Select any 2 of works of art about the Holocaust. You can select from the following list or conduct additional research on Holocaust art. Make sure to get approval from your instructor if you are selecting something not on the list. Click on the link to see the list:
- Morris Kestelman: Lama Sabachthani [Why Have You Forsaken Me?]
- George Mayer-Marton: Women with Boudlers
- Bill Spira: Prisoners Carrying Cement
- Jan Hartman: Death March (Czechowice-Bielsko, January 1945)
- Edgar Ainsworth: Belsen
- Leslie Cole: One of the Death Pits, Belsen. SS Guards Collecting Bodies
- Doris Zinkeisen: Human Laundry, Belsen: April 1945
- Eric Taylor: A Young Boy from Belsen Concentration Camp
- Mary Kessell: Notes from Belsen Camp
- Edith Birkin: The Death Cart – Lodz Ghetto
- Shmuel Dresner: Benjamin
- Roman Halter: Mother with Babies
- Leo Breuer: Path Between the Barracks, Gurs Camp
- Leo (Lev) Haas: Transport Arrival, Theresienstadt Ghetto
- Jacob Lipschitz: Beaten (My Brother Gedalyahu)
- Norbert Troller: Terezin
- Anselm Kiefer: Sternenfall
Write an analysis of each artwork, including the following information:
Identify the title, artist, date completed, and medium used.
Explain the content of the artwork – what do the images show?
How does the artwork relate to the bigger picture of the Holocaust?
How effective is the artwork in relating the Holocaust to viewers?
- Explain the background on the author, especially in relation to the Holocaust.
- Explain the content of the poem – what story or message is it trying to tell?
- How does the artwork relate to the bigger picture of the Holocaust?
- How effective is the artwork in relating the Holocaust to viewers?