- Chapter 1: First the Forest, Then the Trees: An Overview of Employment and Labor Law
- Chapter 2: Employment Contracts and Wrongful Discharge
- Reading Assignment (1 case): See Study Guide
Reflect on employment-at-will and applicable legislative exceptions to this doctrine. Think about the court decisions that have impacted employer and employee rights. How might these decisions apply to you in your current or future workplace?
Your journal entry must be at least 200 words. No references or citations are necessary.
Please read the case DCS Sanitation Management v. Eloy Castillo (and supporting notes), linked in the reference below:
DCS Sanitation Management v. Castillo, 435 F.3d 892, (8th Cir. 2006).
Once you have read and reviewed the case scenario, respond to the following questions:
- Discuss the legal implications for employers and employees for requiring employees to sign noncompete agreements. What factors did the court consider in making its decision? Compare and contrast Ohio and Nebraska’s positions on noncompete clauses.
- Which state’s laws support ethical reasoning in the resolution of this case?
Your response should be a minimum of two pages in length. You are required to use at least your textbook as source material for your response. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying APA style citations.