For this assignment you will visit an art museum online and select 1-3 cultural artifacts to analyze their cultural and historical context.
The museum you choose to visit VIRTUALLY (online) must be an art museum, not a science museum or a children’s museum. It must have Non-Western art. The work reviewed MUST BE Non-Western in origin. It can be ancient to modern, but must relate to a culture that we have studied in this course.
If you have questions on the Museum Website or acceptable nature of the art studied, please ask me.
If you choose to attend a museum or event “in person” (not required), you are assuming all risks and responsibilities associated with attending. You are in no way “required” to go anywhere “in person” for this course for the Cultural Experience Research Essay or for any other reason.
Pre-CV-19 Crisis Suggestions (not required during the current Pandemic)
One suggested location in the St. Petersburg, Florida, area is the Museum of Fine Arts, 255 Beach Dr NE St Petersburg, FL 33701 (http://fine-arts.org/). The MFA has small sections for Native American, Latin American, African, Indian, and Eastern arts.
There are also exhibitions of Asian art on occasions in the Leepa Rattner Museum on the Tarpon Springs Campus LRMA Leppa Ratner Museum on the Tarpon Springs Campus LRMA https://www.leeparattner.org/ Be sure to focus on Non-Western exhibits for this class.
Also check for Non-Western art exhibits at the Tampa Museum of Modern Art http://tampamuseum.org/on_view/. Be sure to focus on Non-Western exhibits for this class.
- Respond to the essay questions (prompts) on this worksheet to construct your body paragraphs. Use full sentences and paragraphs for each essay prompt. Then cut and paste your responses to a word document for your essay.
- Utilize APA or MLA format. Writing must be in essay format and contain a minimum of three works cited, and in-text citations [Please remember to include the textbook as one of those resources]. The completed essay should be 500 – 600 words total.
Use the following worksheet as a guide to your museum visit and to begin your Essay:
Museum Visit Worksheet-attached below
- Make an original title that reflects your thesis or main idea
- Add an introduction providing background information to lead into your thesis statement.
- Provide research in your body paragraphs with parenthetical citations.
- End with a summary/concluding paragraph.
- Be sure to provide Works Cited and References at the bottom of your essay.
- Submit your completed essay as a word document (doc or rtf file) in a separate attachment from your worksheet.