When an offense is serious enough, an offender has had multiple offenses, or the offender is deemed unfit for diversion due to some other reason, alternatives to a rehabilitative approach may be necessary.
A juvenile who enters “the system” will encounter many figures who make key decisions about their short- and long-term future. In this Assignment, you analyze the key roles and responsibilities of major figures in juvenile proceedings.
- First, imagine that you are taking on one of the following roles. If possible, take on a role that you have not had in your profession:
- Law enforcement
- Social worker
- Another role in the process
- Next, read the Week 5 case study found in the Criminal Justice Case Studies: Juvenile Delinquency and Justice document.
- Aspects of the Assignment require you to apply your learning to this case study.
In 750 to 1,000 words, address the following:
- Recommend the offender in the scenario to either family and juvenile court or adult criminal court based on a particular perspective, such as a prosecutor, a judge, or a social worker.
- Recommend a sentence for the offender and explain the rationale.
- As part of your recommendation, propose a re-entry strategy for the offender.
- Support your recommendations with evidence from the Learning Resources and the case study.