Leaders and managers often have to deliver unpleasant or difficult information to other employees or other internal or external stakeholders. How well this news is delivered can affect employee relations as well as public perceptions.
Review the following scenario:
A new company claims it manufactures the best dog food in the market. It employs around 250 people worldwide. After six months in business, one of the company’s brands is found to contain harmful bacteria. Overnight, reports start pouring in from all over the country about pets falling sick, some critically. The company wants to communicate with its stakeholders through a memo before major news channels start to cover the disease.
Assume that you are an assistant to the company’s chairperson.
Module 2 Readings:
textbook, Leadership Communication, read the following chapters:
- Chapter 4 – Using Social Media and Other Leadership Correspondence
- Chapter 5: Leadership Documents and Reports
- Chapter 8 – Emotional Intelligence and Interpersonal Skills for Leaders
- Chapter 9– Diversity and Intercultural Communication Leadership
- Chapter 10 – High-Performing Team Leadership
From the Argosy University online library resources, read:
- Cnhay, R. V., & Kleiner, B. H. (2013). Effective communication in virtual teams. Industrial Management, 55(4), 28–30.http://www.thecampuscommon.com/library/ezproxy/ticketdemocs.asp?sch=auo&turl=http://search.proquest.com/docview/1428060468?accountid=34899
- Cohen, L., & Kassis-Henderson, J. (2012). Language use in establishing rapport and building relations: Implications for international teams and management education. Revue Management Et Avenir, (55), 185–207.
- Congden, S. W., Matveev, A. V., & Desplaces, D. E. (2009). Cross-cultural communication and multicultural team performance: A German and American comparison. Journal of Comparative International Management, 12(2), 73–89.
- Guttman, H. M. (2009). Conflict management as a core competency for HR professionals. People and Strategy, 32(1), 32–39.
- Hsin Hsin, C., Shuang-Shii, C., & Shu Han, C. (2011). Determinants of cultural adaptation, communication quality, and trust in virtual teams’ performance. Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, 22(3), 305–329. doi:10.1080/14783363.2010.532319 http://libproxy.edmc.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com
- McLean, J. (2010). Communicating across cultures. The British Journal of Administrative Management, 30–31.
- Nickels, D. W., Parris, J. B., Gossett, C. H., & Alexander, P. S. (2009). Developing Collaboration Skills: A mixed temperament approach to teamwork. Allied Academies International Conference. Academy of Information and Management Sciences. Proceedings, 13(1), 41.
- Sarker, S., Ahuja, M., Sarker, S., & Kirkeby, S. (2011). The role of communication and trust in global virtual teams: A social network perspective. Journal of Management Information Systems, 28(1), 273.
- Schlenkrich, L., & Upfold, C. (2009). A guideline for virtual team managers: The key to effective social interaction and communication. Electronic Journal of Information Systems Evaluation, 12(1), 109–118.http://www.thecampuscommon.com/library/ezproxy/ticketdemocs.asp?sch=auo&turl=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=37568222&site=ehost-live
- Taylor, S. (2006). Communicating across cultures. The British Journal of Administrative Management, 12–13.
Based on your analysis of the scenario and using the reading material covered in this module, draft two memos for the chairperson. One memo should address the board of directors and the other the company’s employees.
Make assumptions about whether it is the food product that has bacteria or if there is another explanation for the pets’ sickness.
Write a 1–2-page paper in Word format. Turned-in on time, Plagiarism Free, Indented Paragraphs, Running-Heads included, Pages numbered, Cover and Reference Pages included, Grading and Points Criteria followed,
Please work on your APA formatting of citations. I have provided the APA resource cite for you.https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/, Please work on using literature within the span of the last 5 years, All assignment details and qualifications followed, Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Tuesday March 27, 2018 submit your assignment to the Submissions Area.
Assignment Grading Criteria & Maximum Points:
Effectively utilized the tips covered in the module, to write an appropriate memo addressing the board of directors to convey the bad news. 40pts.
Effectively utilized the tips covered in the module, to write a suitable memo addressing the company’s employees to convey the bad news. 40pts.
Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. 20pts.